Sunday, September 29, 2019

It's a perfect, simple Sunday.

I woke up around 10 and finished my rewatch of the first season of Fleabag. Masterpiece. I threw some clothes in the wash and commented on a silly Halloween tweet.

Around 11, I went downstairs to pour myself some cold brew and eat a banana, though I was craving waffles.

While I was in the kitchen, both of my roommates came down and chatted for a bit before leaving, one to take her boyfriend to his first spin class and the other to play in an MIT alumni field hockey game.

With the house to myself, I decided to go ahead and make waffles, and I threw on the newest Joseph album to dance around the kitchen to.

I cut the batter recipe in half and justified eating all three waffles it made by telling myself this meal could count as both breakfast and lunch. I used for a topping some local apple butter I got during an apple picking trip a few weekends ago and ate my perfectly fluffy waffles out on the patio. It's a gorgeous early fall day, 70 degrees and sunny.

While eating, I read my favorite chapter of Eat, Pray, Love (Chapter 48, about getting over difficult love and the real meaning of a soul mate) and direct messaged Liz Gilbert about it on Instagram. Zappos replied to my tweet comment earlier, so I thought I might get lucky with another response.

Back upstairs, I switched my laundry and compiled a playlist for how today has felt so far: sweet and slow with quiet but powerful undertones of contentment.

Later, I'm going to the first installment of a weekly lady hangout with some girls I met at Porchfest back in May. The Facebook event description says, "Presenting the inaugural meeting of the Sunday Evening Ladies' Club! Our mission is to provide a welcoming environment to celebrate the women in our lives. Our weekly(ish) meetings will be a haven to hang out, play games, watch movies, share food and connect with friends. Strictly no boys allowed." I'm in love with the idea and really like the girls who organized it, so I've been looking forward to it for weeks. I even opted out of a road trip to the Big E (the New England Great State Fair) with Rachel and Mike today so I wouldn't miss it.

I finished my laundry and headed back downstairs to make a treat for Ladies' Club: fall mix puppy chow. My new playlist filled the kitchen with exactly the right vibes. My roommate and her boyfriend came back from spin, and we had a delightful little chat before I finished the dishes and headed back upstairs to memorialize a perfect morning by writing it down. Next, I'ma return to the patio to chill in my hammock.

Days like these feel like biting into a big, juicy fall apple picked from the tree—a tiny bit warm from hanging in the sun, sweet but tart, delicious and nutritious.

Part of me wishes I had someone to share these moments with. I kept thinking of my mom and niece, who had a sleepover last night and were hanging out at the playground this morning. How I wish they could have popped over to my place to make waffles and puppy chow. They'd love to sit out on my porch and enjoy the weather with me, and then we could've had a dance party in the living room and walked to the park behind my house. If only Massachusetts bordered Arizona.

But how could I have dwelled on anything that was missing when so many things were just right and wonderful? No, I won't steal the joy from right now by wishing it could be more perfectI'll enjoy what is.

Delight in simple pleasures, friends. This moment is all we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment