Saturday, March 1, 2014

Saturday Shout-out: Thanks for the ride

I called you late from an airport.  It was you I called because I knew there would be no, "I told you so" comments coming from your end of the line.  I told you that I had just broken up with my lying, cheating boyfriend, the one all my friends had been trying for months to convince me was a liar and a cheater.  I told you that I didn't regret giving him as many chances as I did but that I knew he had used up his last one.  You were patient and kind; you let me talk through my anger and my hurt with you, and you asked questions like you really cared. 

At the end of the conversation, whether you really meant it or were just trying to offer me a bit of friendly comfort, you offered me whatever I needed, even to pick me up from the airport when I flew in the next day.  I was thankful that someone was willing to catch me while I felt like I was falling in the darkness.  I spent the night at the airport and planned to fly home early the next day.  Just wanting to check my bags and get out of that airport, I ended up taking an even earlier flight to somewhere near home. 

You came and got me.  No hesitation, no questions, no taking back your offer of whatever I needed. 

What I needed was a friendly face, a loving hug, and a way home.  You came, on top of all that, with chocolate. 

I just remembered this the other day and felt badly that I had never offered to help pay for the gas to get me home.  I hope I at least thanked you profusely.  I can pay you back now, if you'd like, and I'm sorry I never thought about that before. 

When I was expecting my parents and my friends to welcome me home with proud I told you so's, you welcomed me with the selfless love of true friendship.  Thank you for being there for me when I simply needed to be loved and cared for.  Thank you for coming without judgment and with chocolate.  Thanks, friend, for the ride.  

No comments:

Post a Comment