Tuesday, January 3, 2017

#oneword: Follow-through

Goals are hard. I'm a big fan of New Year's resolutions until about January 4th. I love the feeling of a blank slate, a new year, everything fresh and motivating. This year could be great! I think. But I thought that this time last year, and we all know how 2016 turned out.  

You're probably familiar, too, with the discouraging statistics about resolutions. We get swept up in the potential of the new year but forget at any time it takes consistent action to see results.  

It's like the time I took a trip away from home for over a week to get some mental space and do some personal homework. I made a list of goals for the week. Relaxing was one of them, but also on the list were things like update my resume, finish a book or two, write each day.  

The week was relaxing, reflective and helpful, and I did end up at least working on most my goals, even completed some. But I spent the majority of my time with Netflix autoplaying hours of Grey's Anatomy. I realized my habits at home will be my habits away. 

My habits now will be my habits in a new year.  

Unless I take intentional action to change my habits. 

So after seeing so many of my goals, new year after new year, go un-accomplished, I need a new strategy. I know my downfall is follow-through. I also know I set big goals and make ambitious plans, but that victories are more often made over time in the small, day-to-day decisions.  

Follow-through.  

If I made a list of resolutions for 2017, it would look something like this: 

Make better financial choices: budget, pay off debt and build up savings 
Make better health choices and lose weight: eat better and workout 
Make time for creative outlets: set aside time everyday to write and time every to do at least one creative project, like learn to play a new song or work on my art journal 
Be more mindful: meditate every  morning  
Give back: make plans to volunteer regularly  

Even for a whole year, that is a crazy-ambitious, overwhelming list. But these are all things that are important to me and that have been on my mind to improve for a while. When I try to be good at all of these things all at once, it becomes too much and I give up.  

It's easy to write lofty resolutions and list goals. It's hard in the daily grind to stick to those goals.  

So in order to actually see change and progress this year, I'm going to try making my goals smaller and focusing on one at a time. I'll build small, daily habits and stack them on top of each other throughout the year. I'll give myself slack to go slow and mess up. I'll focus on the small steps to lasting health and betterment as gradual shifts in my overall lifestyle.   

I'm going to pick eight simple goals to focus on for six weeks at a time. (That will leave me 28 "flex" days in the year to use as needed.) The hope is that during the six weeks I focus on a goal it will become a natural part of me, a habit, part of my life. Once I have mastered one goal, I should be able to continue it with less effort while I shift my focus to the next goal for the next six weeks. Ideally, at the end of the year, I will be practicing each of these stacked goals simultaneously with relative ease.  

My Goals 

  1. Stick to a meal plan 
  2. Complete six creative projects in six weeks 
  3. Do something active for at least 30 minutes each day 
  4. Follow a budget and track my spending 
  5. Write for at least 30 minutes each day 
  6. Meditate for ten minutes each morning 
  7. Volunteer six times in six weeks 
  8. Do something active for at least 60 minutes each day 

If I tried to do all these things at once, I wouldn't last a day. I have tried many times before. But each goal individually seems manageable, especially given a six-week timeline. It's exciting to visualize what the end of 2017 could look like if I build these habits one by one throughout the year. Hopefully at the end each will be a part of my regular daily life.  

A disclaimer for my own benefit: I will not be perfect. If I miss a day or a week, I'll keep trying for the remainder of the six weeks. If I need an extra week or two to fully master a goal, I have extra time for that.  

I'll keep you posted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment