Thursday, June 1, 2017

The Bass Line

I don't stand out, and I like it that way

I am soft
I am low
I am subtle

But I rumble

I set the pace
I move the beat
I make a difference

I am consistent but not always what you would expect

I am full
I am thick
I am anchored

But I am flexible

Put whatever you want over me, I will adjust

I can jazz
I can rock
I can samba

I can pop
I can punk
I can hip-hop

I can be simple and complex

I fit into spaces
And meld to the music
I hide between the notes and the rhythm

I am grooving
To the beat of someone else's drum
To the tune of someone else's melody

I am not a song by myself

But I am a wave
A force
A reckoning

Listen for me, you'll like what you hear

Single me out
My solos are sick and smooth
And my tone is rich

But I'd rather disappear

I hold up the song
Like beams between the walls
Strong and safe and out of sight

I sound good

Even when you can't hear me

No comments:

Post a Comment